Saturday, July 5, 2014

Unclog the toilet!

Welp its another day at Camp Eagle Hill. When I find the time I write a bit on the blog here. Generally its been pretty busy. The days and nights are long and always on the move which I like to a certain extent. You're never really bored here and there always seems to be things on the "to do" list if you will. Last night we had the Miss Eagle Hill competition with Marie and I as MC for the evening. In short, each girls bunk is given a male counselor in which they dress up for the competition. The 13 males each competed in an evening wear, swim suit, and talent portion. It was hilarious! And I must say some of the boys made pretty females! haha! The kids loved it! I think I do pretty well on stage. I dont have any nerves anymore so its pretty easy to get up in front of 200 people. Unfortunately I was on OD (on duty) last night and didnt get to go out with the rest of head staff so Sals (pizza/beer place). Tonight I will hopefully get out though! OD is basically where one of the adult staff must stay up till 12:30am looking after the bunks and making sure everything goes well, nobody sneaks out, give out snacks, and check people in and out. For the 4th of July we had the staff/kids from each country come up to sing their Anthem. This was pretty neat! We have staff/kids from about a dozen different countries. Tonight the evening activity is Sadie Hawkins where the girls chase the boys and pull a sock out of their back pocket. When you pull a sock that means you "marry" that person. The kids love this activity apparently and afterwards we have a "newlywed game show" type of thing where they each have to answer silly questions about each other. On another note, the water here isn't that great or perhaps its just different than what I'm used to. I ended up buying a case of water so that works out. The past two days were very rainy so we had to change the plan for the kids. I did bingo and some other games inside with the younger kids (ages 4-6). They are a much easier group to work with than the boys ages 10-13! While it was rainy the kids piled in the office to use the restroom...what a disaster! The toilets dont flush very well here sooooo having a plunger is gold. Also making sure you stock up on the TP is essential. The important things in life! I'm enjoying this experience so far! Its hard work but nonetheless another learning experience in life. Working with the international staff has been great as well. Hopefully I'll chat with them more about various opportunities in their countries. I'm still looking to pursue a masters abroad but keeping an open mind for different opportunities I hear about. I was talking to Liane from Wales about her experience using campleaders (3rd party) to obtain her position at CEH. What better way to see a different place and meet people why doing something you enjoy. Anyways, time for lunch! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment